Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Afternoon in the studio and Paeony

Hello everyone. It has been warm lately. But we still keep our winter jackets at hand. The temperature was only 14 C ( 57 F) on Monday.  I went to the studio yesterday and today. As undergraduates finished their term, I am the only one using it. Jane was there to look after the studio. She has been busy with blitz cleaning, laundry and recycling clay. There are load of jobs there!

I made this fellow for a lovely lady in Australia. I said 'fellow', but it is 'she'. She has delicate appearance, typical of a lady chameleon! I used to make loads of them, but now I make them on commission. But after making her, I feel like making more. They have such characters. It's a joy to make them.  
 
A lady chameleon
Yesterday in the studio I threw four pots. I have already discarded one. I felt guilty to put it into the now-empty-recycling bin, just after Jane recycled all clay; I know she hates this job. But I must be ruthless which to fire.

This one was thrown and altered before I turned it. With hindsight, I should have turned it before altering.  I will remember this for the next time.  


These two are vases. Left one was altered, and the small one was finished. They are going to be reduction fired with shino glaze. 

Vases. The blue thing is my cup :   )
I threw these two today. I am not sure whether to keep them. I am making larger pieces (for me, that is) about 1.2 kg -1.4 kg of clay. They are fruit bowl size.



Does ceramics studio sound cool to you? But this is the reality. Look at this! Jane is so lovely. She looks so happy putting laundry out. Actually she has just said 'You are going to put the photos on your blog, aren't you?'  To that I replied 'Yes! ' : ) We are really lucky to have her in the studio. She is known as 'a nice lady in ceramics' among MA art students. She makes her ceramic rock sculptures. I describe them as 'thinking rocks'. Her rocks appear in deep thoughts.  

Jane at work

Last, I want to share the paeonies, Sarah Bernhardt, which I cut on Sunday. They are still beautiful. The scent is delicate and elegant. I love them. They also don't need any care except for staking, although they chose where they grow (a sunny and uncrowded place). My mother loves them, and she had some in the garden. I remember my childhood and hot Japanese summers whenever I see paeony. 


'Sarah Bernhardt'





11 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Midori. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your chameleon and pottery. You are like me, doing both sculptural and functional work. Many people chose to do one or the other. And seeing Jane doing the laundry reminds me when I was a lab assistant at the university I would do the same thing. Sweep the the leaves outside the kiln room and wash up everything. And make recycled clay. It was very meditative for some reason. And those peonies are stunning.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlene. Yes, I like both. I started with functional work because I had missed Japanese pottery so much! Japanese food doesn't taste good on English china. : ) oh, you also used to do it! I am glad that you found it meditative. I will tell Jane to read your comment. ; ) Paeonies are really good this year. They are very oriental. Moist, opulent and fragrant.

      Delete
  2. I do love your chameleon. The texture you have given her skin is wonderful. And I like the light-hearted look of her. I think chameleons are interesting creatures with a sense of humour. Jane is a nice lady indeed, like a good fairy! The pots are lovely too, and that Peony is gorgeous. It is my favourite. Minerva ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Minerva. Making chameleons is really fun. I could make so many different ones. Yes, I agree. They are definitely interesting animals! Before rain came I cut lots of Paeonies for house. They look so sumptuous! : )

      Delete
  3. I love the old word chamelions , so slow and thoughtful. Thier feet are so interesting and their prehensile tail , their swively eyes ~ actually everything about them fascinates me. Great job, yours are very fascinating too!
    Your Sarah Bernhardt paeonies are goegeous ~ glad you are still taking time to smell flowers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willow. The worst has passed (for now). Now I am relishing the life and creation again. : ) Paeony smells opulent and decadent. They look almost too gorgeous to be in our garden. ; )

      Delete
    2. Good grief I have been far to sloppy with my spelling lately ... I do know how to spell chameleon ... I even have spell check so no excuse . I don't appear to proof read and I swear my gadget phone has pixies that scramble my letters as I post. ;)

      Delete
    3. "too" see their is proof ... pixies !

      Delete
    4. You should give the pixies treats. ; ) I can't type well on my tablet, let alone a phone... : )

      Delete
  4. *o* ........... Ooohh this Chamelions-girl is so funny and cute!!! <3
    you are very talented to create animals!!
    Well done Midori-San!!! °_^
    Friendly kisses from France,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour, Lenore-san. Merci! My elementary French stops here! : D It was a fun to make her. I might make her friends, too. : )

      Delete