Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Thursday 29 August 2013

Pressure is on.

Hello everyone. I have been working hard and long on final works for the coming up MA show, Prism. I had planned four firings between Tuesday and Friday this week. I have started the fourth firing this afternoon. I imagine tomorrow I will need yet another firing. Kiln will not be able to be opened by Saturday when hanging will start. But the show commences on the 6th September, so I could still bring my works in next week. Even so, pressure is on me although I am not a main exhibitor; we, part time first year students, are fillers. Do you like pressure? I do. I thrive on it. I like it so much that I even started a new work this week despite already having enough works for the show. I guess I am pushing harder and getting a thrill from it. A bad habit.

What is it? I could almost hear your murmur. This is a cloud. I call it perfect cloud. Have you ever seen old traditional Japanese paintings or ink drawings with this type of cloud? That's my inspiration.

Perfect cloud

Initially, this was to be a mount for a face and a wing of Angel of death, but as I carved it, I started liking it more and more as a stand alone work. Either way it might be not ready for the show!

This new chicken head is fired and still in the kiln started yesterday. When I left the studio this afternoon, it was still about 400 C. I will be able to open it tomorrow. There are several works in it. If any of them still need more glazing, I will re-glaze them, and will re-fire them tomorrow.

New chicken head

Do you remember my #DrawingAugust chicken? She is glazed (and she went back to the kiln for the third firing today! I couldn't help playing with her. 

My #drawing August chicken!
 Pumpkin eats corns with her.

I eat corns, you eat peas. 

 I hope the kiln deity smiles on me! I will be battle ready for tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Good to have a deadline to work to and incentive to get things done. Pumpkin is kind to share her lunch ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. I get a bit more ambitious and do more than otherwise. Great Pumpkin took her 'mini Me' naturally! She made us laugh!

      Delete
  2. Too funny Pumpkin ... I love Midoris work but you Pumpkin stole the show today !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Pumpkin with her new pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She didn't mind her 'mini Me'! : D

      Delete
  4. Loving the cloud, Midori. And the chicken is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's funny that I got attached to the cloud! I would love to make more chickens in this type of loose wild form. : )

      Delete
  5. So many firing back to back good luck with the show and the next firings. I seem to get a lot done under pressure as well. Art meets chicken life. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Today I have started two kilns and another loaded for tomorrow; waiting for a part of clay drying. There are five kilns in the studio, thankfully. : )

      Delete