Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday 1 January 2014

A happy New Year!

Hello everyone. This year we skipped Japanese New Year's Day celebration partly because I had eaten all of the Mochi, rice cakes that I bought in London in early December. Mike caught my flu and nobody could go for shopping and our fridge was empty, so I decided to have a couple of Mochi, but somehow finished the packet over several days!

I entered 2014 with dancing in the early hours. After a champagne lunch, I danced again. A perfect thing to do on a stormy New Year's Day! I love any dance music old or new. I also like any smokey music including rock'n roll. Once I start dancing I won't stop until I get really tired.  Mike is a softie. He likes mellow songs and acoustic music. He never dances. Never! In a gig, if you see a man sitting tight on a chair, next to a little Japanese woman dancing like there is no tomorrow, he is most likely be Mike!

While I was in the studio preparing for tomorrow's firing, Mike started this.

Mike, what are you doing?
 He decided to swap main boards. He has built all our PCs. He is a geek. (100% pure)

Colourful cables!
Then he said he forgot how to reconnect things! He checked on his laptop using Topaz's crate as a table. Notice her unapproved look with spooky yellow eyes!

'Why doesn't he use the dining table....?'


In the mean time, I was busy preparing this mask for bisque-firing tomorrow.

The mask I made on New year's eve. 
 And I have built a new one. They look similar but different. Each has its own personality.

My first mask of the year. 

Also these little guys are ready to the kiln. I can almost hear their chattering. :D


One little, two little, and lots of little owls! 

There is one unhappy camper in our house. As I was happily dancing to loud music before the bells last night, Pearl the whippet had enough - she sleeps in our bedroom  - and decided to move from the the side of the bed to the back of the bed. She hates loud sounds while she sleeps. (Nobody does!) She sighed, whined and stared at us. Well, Pearl, only one night a year, I should be allowed to listen to any music I like until late.
Now I know how you feel when your kids groan when you listen to your favourite oldies loud. : D

A very happy New Year, everybody!


14 comments:

  1. Hi Midori,
    What fun to dance in the New Year !
    I was just catching up with all the news as I had taken a little blog break.
    I am glad you stayed safe in the storm.
    Looks like you have stayed busy with wonderful creations , I always love peeking in here at the beautiful art !
    Be well my Blog friend and Happy New Year to you and Mike .
    Cheers
    Willow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willow. I have just noticed that the hallway has a leak! :O We are having another storm today! Thank you! We wish you and your all family a very happy New Year, Willow! : )

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Midori! The best we could do for New Year was ramen and mochi ice cream. When I was little my mom would put the little dumplings on a hibachi and toast them lightly. It looks like you have been very busy. The little owls are so sweet! Many, many best wishes for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy New Year, Charlene! Mochi is one of my favourites. So once I open a packet, it is difficult for me not to finish! Little owls blew winter blue away! I wish they could blow storms away, too! :D

      Delete
  3. That sounded like fun, although I would have been with Pearl, hiding away from the noise. Happy New Year to you all. The masks and owls look wonderful I am looking forward to seeing them out of the firing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It was fun! A very happy creative new year to you, Charlotte! They will finish firing in an hour, and then I will have a long wait before the kiln cools down. : )

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to you and your family. I think dancing is wonderful and freeing for our souls. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy New Year! You are right! I have never thought about freeing my soul! : )

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Midori and Mike - yes Champagne and dancing - it looks like it is a girl thing - I love champagne and dancing all night! Hope 2014 is a splendid year for you both and Pearl and Topaz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Jacqueline. Thank you (and two wagging tails). I hope you both have a wonderful year! : )

      Delete
  6. Wishing you and Mike a happy, healthy and successful 2014! The masks look wonderful and I love the owls, they are so lively and characterful, look forward to seeing them finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very happy creative New Year, Mark! Thank you. They came out from bisque-firing safely this morning. I will do lots of finishing today. : )

      Delete
  7. My best wishes for 2014 to you and your loved ones, Midori. Wonderful, creative, beautiful, sweet and nice year !
    Masks are lovely, as always.. I guess, now they are fired ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy creative New Year to you, Ilona! Thank you! : ) Yes, they have been bisque-fired. I will glaze-fire them tomorrow. : )

      Delete